Meandering Mango

If you're looking to feed your intellect here...you just might starve. If you're here because you want to hear about my wacky life...well, you've come to the right place.

Monday, November 13, 2006

Lazy Jane

I love Shel Silverstein, especially his poem "Lazy Jane." For those of you who don't know how it goes, let me enlighten you:

Lazy
Lazy
Lazy
Lazy
Lazy
Lazy
Jane.
She
wants
a
drink
of
water
so
she
waits
and
waits
and
waits
and
waits
and
waits
for
it
to
rain.
In a nutshell, that was my weekend. It seems like Marc and I have been going 100 miles per hour lately, and this was the first weekend in a long time where we didn't have anything formally planned (except dinner at a friend's house on Sunday...and I wasn't cooking, so that didn't really count). On Friday night, we hit the Thai Cafe for dinner and then headed home to watch Network, the 1976 film featuring Faye Dunaway, William Holden, Peter Finch, and Robert Duvall. Even if you haven't seen it, you know of it...it's the film that includes the famous line, "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!" Now that we've "fallen back" with Daylight Savings Time, it seems like it's much later than it really is. When we were driving home from dinner, I told Marc that I felt like it was 10:00 even though it was really seven. By the time the DVD ended at 10:00, it felt like it was midnight (which is, ashamedly, past my bedtime). So we turned in for the night.

On Saturday, we hit the road for a visit to Kokomo to see my family. It was chilly day and kind of gloomy...perfect for sacking out on the couch , which was exactly what we did at my parents' house for the entire day. It was nice, though, to just sit around and catch up since we hadn't been up for a visit since September! (Shame on us...like I said, we have been extra busy.) I baked a pan of brownies to satisfy my chocolate craving. And when dinner time rolled around, I offered to make the sweet potato soup that I love so much. Nevermind that I've made this soup several times...I somehow managed to completely forget the first four or five steps of the recipe, leaving us with 3 1/2 pounds of boiled sweet potatoes and nothing to do with them. My mom said she might freeze them and make a casserole later. I felt so bad! They joked that if I didn't really want to cook, I should have just said something. We ended up ordering pizza, and after about three pieces, I had miraculously forgotten all about the bisque incident.

I brought a bag of dog clothes that Judy's dog, Cooper, willed down to my parents' new puppy, Barnum. He gladly put on a little fashion show for us, displaying how chic he looked in his new sherpa-lined corduroy overcoat. Bailey, my parents' first-born and dearest dog son, was less obliging when it came to trying on the new duds. When we strapped him into the Isaac Mizrahi doggy trenchcoat, he pouted in the middle of the room and refused to pose for pictures. I always love to spend time at my folks' house, and it was a really great visit.

Sunday, we managed to arrive at church just as it was starting. Marc's mom and dad were joining us that day, and they called to see where we were. Marc said he was surprised that they beat us there, but I reminded him [as we stood in our kitchen] that church was starting in approximately two minutes. I've come to realize that living so close to the church can be both good and bad. Bad, because we tend to let ourselves sleep in too late; and good, because it only takes half of a second to get there. After church, we had lunch with Marc's parents and then headed home to watch the Colts almost get spanked by the Buffalo Bills. I think I lasted until the third quarter before I drifted off to nap-land. Later that evening, it was off to the dinner party and the absolutely wonderful Black Bottom Banana Cream Pie that Jack made for dessert. It was quite a way to cap off a weekend.

So I guess that for two people who had nothing planned, Marc and I still ended up with plenty to do!

7 Comments:

  • At 11/14/2006 12:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sounds like a very fun weekend!

    Next time you have a chocolate craving, you should beef up your brownies like this:

    Spread one (or two, if you're feeling crazy) container(s) of chocolate frosting over brownies while still warm. Sprinkle with Heath toffee bits and drizzle with caramel topping.

    Oh. my. goodness.

    So good.

     
  • At 11/14/2006 12:33 PM, Blogger Karen said…

    Ooh...that sound a little dangerous! I might eat the whole pan. :) I heard that you guys are coming up for Booze & Cookies. It should be really fun, although I can't believe it is so soon! Maybe we can convince Troy that Chocolate Iced Heath Bar Brownies are a variation on Cookies...who knows?

     
  • At 11/14/2006 12:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jennie: Thank you, thank you and thank you for your wonderful brownie suggestion!!

    Karen: We must make Jennie's brownies TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

     
  • At 11/15/2006 8:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It was soooo nice to have you two back in Kokomo. Barnum and Bailey always appreciate the company, the duds are just icing. As for our family....have you ever noticed how certain people in your life come with an ambience? Such it is with you and Marc. When you come home, I want to light the fireplace, sit in a comfortable place, talk about everything and unwind....Currier and Ives.

    As for the sweet potatoes, Mom did make a casserole and it was a hit at work. (Our early carry-in) So just regard it as helping out.

    And thanks for reminding me of you love for Silverstein That brings me back to the bisque.....Here is my favorite Shel: (at least today)

    Listen to the MUSN'TS, child,
    Listen to the DON'TS
    Listen to the SHOULDN'TS
    The IMPOSSIBLES, the WON'TS
    Listen to the NEVER HAVES
    Then listen close to me –
    Anything can happen, child,
    ANYTHING can be.

    .....and it happens when we quit listening to the ....'TS.

     
  • At 11/15/2006 1:01 PM, Blogger Troy said…

    If there is anything funnier than a dog in clothes, it is a dog who hates wearing clothes as he is wearing them. I hope you got some pictures.

    I wish Claire could fit into Isaac's stuff.

     
  • At 11/15/2006 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sadly, we won't be coming to Booze & Cookies this year. I am heartbroken. When Troy told me the date, I didn't realize it conflicted with two baby showers I am throwing at my house. I guess the host better get in gear, eh? I am going to do everything I can to be there next year, though!!! Please take lots of pictures and give a full report on your blog so I can feel like I was there.

     
  • At 11/15/2006 3:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Claire can wear anything she wants.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home