Meandering Mango

If you're looking to feed your intellect here...you just might starve. If you're here because you want to hear about my wacky life...well, you've come to the right place.

Friday, December 15, 2006

Spit Happens

Okay...forgive the dorky title, but it seems to appropriately sum up a disturbing trend in which I've recently noticed a huge increase--public spitting. I'm not sure why this gags me out so much, but it does. It seems that everywhere I go anymore, there are dots of spit [and that is politely speaking] mucking up the sidewalks, parking lots, etc. And it's a disgusting habit that crosses all demographics. In fact, when Marc and I were at the Starbucks on the Circle the other day, I looked out just in time to see a businessman clad in a classy suit walk by and hock a big one right onto the sidewalk. Don't these people know better? I mean, I'm certain that my mother would be quite mortified if she saw me pull something like that. But it doesn't seem to stop anyone.

One time, Marc was minding his own business walking back to his office after lunch. As he passed a woman on the sidewalk, she decided to spit on the ground and missed--instead it landed on Marc's arm. I can't remember what she said to him, but I do remember that it wasn't, "I'm sorry." Due to complete mortification, I don't think that he gave much of a response, which makes him a much better person than I. I'm not sure how the law is written in Indiana, but in most states, spitting on someone is actually considered assault or battery. In Terre Haute, Indiana, it is illegal to spit on the sidewalk. Maybe I'll start lobbying for that here.

If you are a sidewalk spitter, I apologize if I've offended you--but it's gross, so stop it.

5 Comments:

  • At 12/15/2006 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Fine Karen. I'll stop, but when my mouth is over-flowing with saliva as I sit at my desk, you're the one who'll pay.

     
  • At 12/17/2006 10:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Karen--I wantered over to your blog from another one that I read. Anyway, sorry to say that I am a spitter, but definitely try to only spit in the grass and when no one's looking. My pet peeve is when someone opens their car door, hangs their head out, and hocks one up right there. Well, now that I've lost my appetite... :)

     
  • At 12/18/2006 10:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We have a co-worker who's son will occasionally come to the office for a visit. Every single time he visits, he feels the need to spit between the car and the front door. I am always appalled, and since I look out the front door I get to see it everytime. I'm with you no more spitting.

     
  • At 12/18/2006 11:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm not a fan of the spit either. My fourth-grade teacher used to spit in a tissue SEVERAL times a day. I realize this might seem like a more polite thing than spitting on the ground, but she LOOKED in the tissue every time before she threw it away. We all thought it was the grossest thing in the world.

     
  • At 12/18/2006 2:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Karen, as a runner, when the heart gets to pumpin'hard I will occasionally find the need to spit. Not all the time mind you, just occasionally. I do turn my head to the right and "let fly". I won't go in to the details of where it lands, or what it looks like. Do I get permission as a finely tuned athlete to do this? I might add that this practice is very common with runners. I try not to do it if I'm in a large race crowd and most generally run to the side of the road. Please let me keep doing it...it makes me look tough and I need all the help I can get.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home